Monday, April 6, 2009

A Real Friend

I received this from a true friend, and I thought it was worth passing along!
  • A simple friend, when visiting, acts like a guest. A real friend opens your refrigerator and helps herself and doesn't feel even the least bit weird shutting your 'refrigerator drawer' with her foot!
  • A simple friend has never seen you cry. A real friend's shoulder is soggy from your tears.
  • A simple friend brings a bouquet of flowers to your party. A real friend comes early to help you cook and stays late to help you clean.
  • A simple friend hates it when you call after they've gone to bed. A real friend asks you why you took so long to call.
  • A simple friend seeks to talk with you about your problems. A real friend seeks to help you with your problems.
  • A real friend reminds you that when you are down to nothing .... God is up to something.

I ran into a Real Friend today at lunch, completely unplanned and unexpected. I was alone at my table, doing my bible study homework, when I looked up to see my friend's warm smile. "Look at you, trying to grow!" she said. I invited her to sit down with me and the next 30 minutes were filled with Real Friend sharing that led us through some fast conversation, jumping from subject to subject. I LOVE that about my friend!

And I got to thinking again about her comment ... "Look at you, trying to grow!" I think that is exactly what God says to us when we invite him to pull up a chair. I have learned that God is able to keep up with a fast conversation, jumping from subject to subject, while I prattle on and on. That's what Real Friends do! I LOVE that about my friend!

2 comments:

Saleslady371 said...

You are a real friend, my dear. I'm so glad you are in my life! I laughed so hard at your comment! I love your mind! The question is...are any of the other bloggers free enough to post their childhood pics? We'll see.

Angela said...

Hi Kay,
Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I LOVED the New Kids Concert, did your daughter? This is a cute post..the sayings about friends are so true! It is awesome to have friends who love God, and who encourage us to seek after Him. Nice to meet you!