- A simple friend, when visiting, acts like a guest. A real friend opens your refrigerator and helps herself and doesn't feel even the least bit weird shutting your 'refrigerator drawer' with her foot!
- A simple friend has never seen you cry. A real friend's shoulder is soggy from your tears.
- A simple friend brings a bouquet of flowers to your party. A real friend comes early to help you cook and stays late to help you clean.
- A simple friend hates it when you call after they've gone to bed. A real friend asks you why you took so long to call.
- A simple friend seeks to talk with you about your problems. A real friend seeks to help you with your problems.
- A real friend reminds you that when you are down to nothing .... God is up to something.
I ran into a Real Friend today at lunch, completely unplanned and unexpected. I was alone at my table, doing my bible study homework, when I looked up to see my friend's warm smile. "Look at you, trying to grow!" she said. I invited her to sit down with me and the next 30 minutes were filled with Real Friend sharing that led us through some fast conversation, jumping from subject to subject. I LOVE that about my friend!
And I got to thinking again about her comment ... "Look at you, trying to grow!" I think that is exactly what God says to us when we invite him to pull up a chair. I have learned that God is able to keep up with a fast conversation, jumping from subject to subject, while I prattle on and on. That's what Real Friends do! I LOVE that about my friend!