Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Getting Ready to be Ready


Kevin's leg is not black/blue/purple anymore, but I still have it listed at MyBrokenLeg.com! How many weeks can a broken leg stay swollen 3 times bigger than normal? Inquiring minds wanna know! (I'm no expert, but I believe the answer differs on whether or not you actually went to the doctor and have a cast!)

So how did Jane's move-in go? Is she settling in? All good questions! The furniture is well-placed in Jane's new garden home, minus some picture-hanging which will take place soon. She has spent the last 5 days puttering about unpacking boxes and placing and mis-placing this and that. We are working to help Jane establish small, but very important, habits such as safe-keeping of her house key and visiting the dining room for meals. Repetition and Jane make a very happy couple! So -- Kevin and I are trying to catch up at work before our next move-in assignment. Here's what the memo said:

INTER-OFFICE FAMILY MEMO

TO: Mom & Dad
FROM: Keaton
SUBJECT: Florida Relocation

I am all grown up now. My new teaching job awaits me in Florida. I can do my own laundry and cook a mean macaroni & cheese dinner. My alarm clock works well. I have good manners and I can find my way to any Walmart. I can balance a checkbook and I am a good saver. I depend on God and I pray daily. You have been good parents. Your final assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to travel 1000 miles away and deposit me in a place I will now call home. Can you do that for me? Can we do it together? Do you love me enough to leave me completely in God's care? I trust you do.

Say it isn't so -- how can my baby be all grown up already? Keaton, we love you and we will miss you. At the same time, we are excited for you and have confidence in you. And we know that you know how to use the phone, email, and text message!

There's no finer friendship than being friends with your grown children.

No comments: